Originally built in 1907 as a station for the Richmond/Ashland Electric Line, this building served as a transit hub for passengers moving between the state capital and Ashland, Virginia.
The trolley line was in operation for 31 years, but following the financial crisis in the late 1920s, the operation as a trolley station ceased, and the property was purchased by the Richmond Glass Company (Richmond Glass) in 1938. During the time the building was occupied by Richmond Glass, it underwent remodeling which was thought to modernize the façade. This renovation obscured the Classical Revival and Italian architectural styles and feature characteristics of the original structure.
The property was purchased from Richmond Glass in 2010 by an investor who realized the value of the historic architecture. The investor sought to redevelop the building and site behind the original structure and removed the circa 1970 façade revealing a true diamond in the rough. Though a number of developers saw the development potential for the property, no one surfaced to take on the project.
The building sat empty until renovations began in 2013. VCU realized the magnanimous impact an historic renovation, redevelopment and cutting edge repurposing and asked the VCU Real Estate Foundation to acquire the property.